It never fails… people love neutral paint colors. There are gorgeous, vibrant paint colors in every shade of the rainbow but people keep coming back to the old standby’s: beige, gray, white, cream. You may think it’s because they’re boring but the truth of the matter is a gorgeous neutral paint color lets your home shine.
With neutral walls you can have beautifully vibrant furniture, or pretty pastel accessories, you can change your decor for Christmas, or Valentines day or whatever your heart desires. The reason neutral paint colors are so popular is the versatility they give you to play with your decor.
As an added bonus people who use popular neutral paint colors on their walls have seamless transitions from room to room because neutrals are so. much. easier. to blend from space to space. So I thought I’d reach back in my brain of paint colors and see which neutral paint colors seem to come up time and time again when mixing paint for customers.
Here’s my list of popular neutral paint colors that people love!
The best part? If you scroll alllllllll the way down I’ve put together a FREE printable of my top 10 neutral paint colors (and their coordinating colors) so you can take the fun with you. Just download and go!
Gray Paint Colors
Gray is the new beige… and there’s a reason for that! It’s a bit more color than a traditional beige but still can read very light. Of course, the best part of gray is that with a true gray (like my favorite light french gray) the only undertone present is black. Which means your accessories truly add the color to the room.
With a beige your undertones are always going to read brown even if you cut out the usual gold/red/yellow that typically accompanies them. So if you’re looking for a beige there are plenty of options (just keep reading!) but if you’re looking for a true neutral with a bit of a clean, crisp feeling try a cool gray.
Psst… still confused on how to read the undertones of a paint color? I’ve got you covered! Read this post first!
1. Light French Gray by Sherwin Williams
BONUS: Freebie Alert!
Looking for a little help? I’ve put together a quick, easy and FREE 6 day e-course to walk you through picking your perfect paint color in just minutes a day. By the end of this post you’ll have a million ideas for colors but by the end of the FREE e-course you’ll have a paint color picked out and ready to go on the wall.
2. Agreeable Gray by Sherwin Williams
3. Storm by Benjamin Moore
4. Chelsea Gray by Benjamin Moore
5. Ellie Gray by Sherwin Williams
6. Moonshine by Benjamin Moore
7. Stonington Gray by Benjamin Moore
8. Repose Gray by Sherwin Williams
9. Dorian Gray by Sherwin Willams
10. Colonnade Gray by Sherwin Willams
11. Mindful Gray by Sherwin Williams
12. Useful Gray by Sherwin Willams
13. Analytical Gray By Sherwin Williams
14. Passive by Sherwin Williams
15. Worldly Gray by Sherwin Willams
16. Harbor Gray by Benjamin Moore
17. Coventry Gray by Benjamin Moore
White Paint Colors
Whites are often thought of as the extras: trim, cabinets, baseboards… but with so many options out there whites are more than they appear. Just watch any man’s face who walks into a paint store looking for “white” and is shown an entire wall of white paint swatches.
He never knew that many white paint colors existed and I’m guessing neither did you.
So here’s my list of fav’s… try these whites for your walls, trim, cabinets, siding etc and watch your canvas open up. Light, bright and airy is definitely the name of the game here!
18. Alabaster by Sherwin Williams
19. Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore
20. White Flour by Sherwin Williams
21. Pure White by Sherwin Williams
22. Ultra White Benjamin Moore
23. Extra White by Sherwin Willams
24. Snow White by Benjamin Moore
25. Atrium White by Benjamin Moore
26. Decorator White by Benjamin Moore
27. Frostline by Benjamin Moore
28. Paper White by Benjamin Moore
29. Swiss Coffee by Benjamin Moore
30. China White by Benjamin Moore
31. Dover White by Sherwin Williams
32. Mountain Peak White by Benjamin Moore
33. Simply White by Benjamin Moore
34. White Ice by Benjamin Moore
35. White Dove by Benjamin Moore
Beige Paint Colors
Sometimes I think beige is just another synonym for blah… but then I look at this list. Beige is a perfect way to warm up a wall from a white while still staying extremely neutral.
Something like natural linen gives you just a hint of color which is perfect for homes with tons of windows… natural light is amazing but it definitely makes your colors a bit washed out. Which means that beautiful light white you picked now looks stark white!
Beige is a perfect option to add a bit of color without going all the way to color town.
Yes… I just decided color town was a thing. You’re welcome.
36. Balboa Mist by Benjamin Moore
37. Crushed Ice by Sherwin Williams
38. Stone Lion by Sherwin Willams
39. Divine White by Sherwin Willams
40. Loggia by Sherwin Willams
41. Linen by Restoration Hardware
42. Bleeker Beige by Benjamin Moore
43. Collingwood by Benjamin Moore
44. Grant Beige by Benjamin Moore
45. Natural Linen by Sherwin Williams
Greige or Taupe
46. Functional Gray by Sherwin Williams
47. Requisite Gray by Sherwin Williams
48. Mega Greige by Sherwin Williams
49. Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore
50. Anew Gray by Sherwin Williams
51. Wish by Benjamin Moore
52. Silver Drop by Behr
53. Silver Feather by Behr
54. Ashen Tan by Behr
55. Poised Taupe by Sherwin Williams
(Poised Taupe was the color of the year last year so I wrote a whole post on it! Check it out!)
56. Casual Khaki by Behr
57. Stony Ground by Farrow and Ball
58. Ashen by PPG
59. Sherwood Tan by Benjamin Moore
60. Tony Taupe by Sherwin Williams
61. Moth Wing by Sherwin Williams
62. Balanced Beige by Sherwin Williams
63. Threshold Taupe by Sherwin Williams
64. Touch of Sand by Sherwin Williams
Light Colors that Read as Neutral
Alright y’all if you’ve made it through the entire list and you’re still not in love with any of the neutral options think about using a light color. There are several light colors that read as neutral in the right light. Typically these are transitional colors which means even though it’s one color it can read as blue, or green, or gray.
Kind of like how hazel eyes look different in different lights.
Transitional paint colors are a whole different thing that we’re not going to get into here but I’ve included a few of my favorites just for fun. If you’re in love with the idea try asking your local Sherwin Williams decorative paint specialist for a few tips.
They’ll lead you in the right direction!
65. Quicksilver by Sherwin Williams
66. Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams
67. Sweet Celadon by Benjamin Moore
Don’t forget to sign up for the FREE 6 Day e-course… you’ll have your perfect paint color picked out and ready to go up on the wall so quick your head will spin!
Of course, if you’re not looking for an entire course the FREE Printable of my Top 10 Neutral Paint Colors is up for grabs below. See what colors made the list!
Get Your FREE PDF Paint Color Swatches!
Ready to paint?
Here's a snapshot of our FAVORITE 10 Neutral Paint Colors... and their coordinating colors.
Leave a Reply