I read so many posts about how to “classify” your design style… is it French Country? Is it Elegant and Refined? How about… is it YOU?! While I have so many qualifications when it comes to purchasing décor (something red and metallic probably won’t end up in my house!) my number one stipulation is.. is it something I LOVE!
People have been known to call my home “eclectic”… I guess that means it’s a mash up of different styles! That’s because if I find something I love, that makes my heart sing, if the happy dance has been danced… we find a way to make it work! So here’s a couple tips to help you define your YOU style!
1. Pick a color Palette! When you define a color palette it does a couple of things… it ensures that everything in your home that falls within that color palette will match! Color is a unifying factor… while two pieces might not mesh if they are red and purple a coat of blue paint and voila! Now they match! We have a color palette of blue, white, gray and yellow… most everything in our home is one of those four colors! Of course there are exceptions… being a girly girl I tend to love pink… so occasionally you will find a pop of pink. Just make sure to keep extra colors to a pop here or there! A pop of color is fun and exciting…. 20 pops of color looks like a rainbow! Now if you love rainbows, if that’s your style then go for it! Remember this is all about YOU!
2. Look at pictures in magazines, on Pinterest, in hardback books, anywhere online… or at your best friends house! Anywhere there is décor there is a sense of inspiration! Now compile all of these things together… what is the common factor? Does all of your inspiration have glass back splash… that’s something you love! Are there antique lamps in every picture? Chance is you love antique lighting… use your inspiration to narrow down a common theme to the things you REALLY adore!
3. Go shopping! Now I don’t mean head to the store and buy everything you see. Browse the aisles and see what you love. Take in the inspiration! My favorite place to be? Stores like IKEA that have little displays! I love to go walk around the little tiny living rooms and take notes! See what type of organization they use… the unique way they arrange their wall art or desk supplies. Take pictures and see what you can re-make in your own home! Most of the time these trips leave me empty handed… I don’t even buy anything!
4. Don’t care what other people think! Working at Sherwin-Williams I am in awe of the number of times I hear “I love this color but it’s so bright… what will our friends think? Maybe we should go with beige” Your house is your safe haven… decorate for YOU! If a bright red accent wall is your thing or a purple kitchen makes your heart sing I say go for it! If your friends don’t like it they can go home! Next time meet them for dinner out or hit a movie… true friends won’t care how you decorate anyways!
When I was a 22 most of my friends were asking for laptops or ipads for Christmas… what did I want? The two biggest things on my wish list were my pottery barn dress form and the blue bubble gum machine I saw on Pinterest! I just fell in love with the elegant lines of the beige dress form… and the fun whimsy of the bubble gum machine! Opening both Christmas morning made my day! I still have both and love them every single day… no matter how many funny looks I received from friends when they asked what my favorite Christmas present was and I said “my dress form!”
5. Collect over time! We touched on this a bit last week in my post Tips for Adding Minor Details to Your Home… take your time! Sometimes I will go out shopping for one particular item and come home empty handed 12 stores later. That’s ok! Be willing to wait for that one item that makes your heart sing! If you go out shopping for a pair of side lamps be willing to wait for the perfect pair! That might take 2 stores and one trip… or it might take 11 months and 15 trips! When you find the perfect pair… you’ll know! You won’t want to leave the store without them!
So what’s your YOU style? How do you find it?
Linking up with: I Heart Naptime!
Get Your FREE Wedding Binder
Trying to plan your perfect wedding?
Here's 42 FREE printables to help you get organized!