So you know that person who totally creeps on over, checks out your blog and then makes a mood board for your already awesome guest room? Yup I’m the creeper! And the victim? Joy from the Accidental House Blog! She was such a good sport when I used her first post as inspiration for my super awesome 11 non-traditional bed side tables post… I think the terms blogging bestie might have been tossed about 😉 Here’s what she had to say about her guest room:
As far as style, we honestly lean towards IKEA. I know it seems clique, but we love clean lines, natural light, and “less is more.” We actually made a stop there today (which is always so dumb to do on a Saturday in Atlanta… haha) But we came away with some good, thrifty finds!
Either way she posted a super cute reveal on her blog earlier this week for the entire guest room… and while I love what she’s done with the place, I already had this little baby whipped up! Let’s see if we can take things one step past awesome, shall we? Think… extra super awesome!
Working with the things Joy already has in place (the white bedding, the headboard, the little white IKEA nightstands, the tall white bedside lamps, the grey blanket, the blue baskets on the nightstand, three pieces of art and the little white clock!) I tried to find items that were either low cost or completely DIY! While I would love to go crazy and create a board with no budget… well #aintnobodygottimeforthat We live in a real world with real budgets! That’s why a good DIY is so much fun!
1. Be Our Guest Gold Print – I absolutely love a good printable… and the phrase “Be Our Guest” is absolutely perfect for a hip guest room! Warm, welcoming and referencing Disney… what’s not to love?
2. Gray and White Striped Rug – I spent quite a few minutes looking at geometric prints, medallions, I even picked out a gorgeous chevron… and then I decided the color was all wrong! A simple grey and white stripe adds pattern without being too busy.
3. Adorable Whale Waste Basket – I love to add a bit of quirk to a room and Joy’s “call your mother” pillow shows that she has a wonky side as well! This little wastebasket is spot on in terms of color palette… and the whales are absolutely adorable!
4. Large DIY Wall Map Art – When I took a look at Joy’s room the main thing I notice missing is a piece of large piece of wall art… a focal point if you will. I was missing one for a good year in my first place… that’s why I whipped up my “& They Lived Happily Ever After” pallet! DIY is such a great medium for wall art… because it’s just so expensive! This Wall map is big, focal, easy to make and so customizable! You could use just about any picture to make this completely personalized… and don’t get me started on paint color!
5, 6, 7 & 8 Pillows – When picking pillows more is definitely more! At least in my opinion 😉 These four are a good starting point… and while I love a plethora of pillows 4 decorative pillows is probably a decent amount for guests! Try picking one (or two) that encompass all (or most) of your color palette… then separate the colors out! If your color palette is navy, grey, white and green try picking one of each color.
Joy has a large wall directly across from her guest bed… right now it has two adorable pictures mounted squarely in the middle. Adding in the picture from above her bed that is now homeless (since we’ve placed a large DIY Wall Map there!) we have 3 pictures that are unique to Joy. Sentimental pieces are my absolute favorite… and they would look gorgeous in a wall grouping!
9. Floating Shelves – Believe it or not this is an IKEA hack… a floating shelf for little bits and baubbles!
10. 3 DIY Wooden Arrows – Although I love the set of three I decided to use just one above the floating shelf. These two pieces (the floating shelf and the DIY arrow) will help to anchor the wall… however they aren’t large and in charge. We want the personal art to shine! Of course if wooden isn’t your thing both pieces could easily be painted (navy, gold, or white!).
11. Chalkboard Printable – Joy has an adorable little chalkboard hanging directly inside her guest room door. I thought this chalkboard art would be adorable to welcome guests to their temporary chambers! The best part? This is a printable… and printables are easy to trace! Tracing is great for the chalkboard challenged like me!
12. Large Chalkboard – The only thing better then a small chalkboard? A large chalk board! This baby is a DIY and the frame could easily match the floating shelf and wooden arrow across the way!
13 & 14 DIY Navy Bar Cart (with gold dipped feet and casters!) – Joy has the cutest little white console in the corner of her room… however it is all one piece (read no shelf space 🙁 ) while it could be easily painted navy (with a gold dipped bottom for extra effect!) an adorable bar cart would add so much shelf space! Option 13 is way too expensive… but with a little elbow grease the IKEA Svalbo can look just as high class! Paint that baby navy, add gold dipped feet for a little spice (and depth) and then finish the whole thing off with lockable gold casters! Perfection!
15. Large Round Mirror – If the DIY Navy Bar Cart isn’t adorable enough check out this mirror! Joy’s mama commented that her little white mirror is a tidge small for the space… and I have to agree! This round beauty is another DIY (no really!) and makes quite the statement while opening up the room! Mirrors are always great for reflecting light and making a space feel bigger!
16. Patterned Vase – Isn’t this vase adorable? Try wrapping a bit of patterned fabric around an old jar… hot glue it in place and volia! A beautiful new vase! If you can’t get your fabric to lay flat that’s alright… cut a big square and place your jar directly in the middle. Then pull the edges up and wrap a big gold bow around the whole thing! Fill with water and add flowers… done!
17. Greenery – Moss Balls and Greenery are so important to a space… especially one like Joy’s where green is one of the main colors! She has a killer orb and vase in the room already… a bit of greenery will top the room off nicely!
18. DIY Navy Bar Cart (with gold dipped feet and casters!) – Check out #13 and #14 above!
19. Blue and White Lamp – How perfect is this lamp? Pattern and pizazz… my two favorite things! On top of the navy bar cart it will add just enough height for variety! Plus… it’s adorable!
20 & 21 Wall Sconces and Hanging Tables – These colored wall sconces are adorable… and oh so chic! The hanging side tables are the icing on the cake here… but they don’t leave a lot of room for a table lamp! These green wall sconces will fade into the wall a bit… which will be quite important after adding the ropes required for the hanging tables! Speaking of the hanging tables… these are from Magnolia Farms and honestly? They’re probably worth the splurge! However there’s no reason you have to limit yourself to these trays… find a set at your local Target (or flea market!) drill four holes and string that baby up! Even better? Spray paint the whole thing gold… now there’s a little bang for your buck!
22 & 23 Chairs – I wasn’t sure if there was room for a chair in this little room… but if there were these are my top two options. Either a fun modern rocker… or a comfy grey snuggle chair! Take your pick!
The only thing left? Accessories!
24. Poof – These green and white striped poof is adorable… and would be so functional at the end of the bed! A pair is quite pricy… but look how easy those lines are?! Whip up a wooden box, wrap it in batting (the super thick seating kind) and then cover it in an adorable fabric!
25. Candles – I’m sure Joy has adorable accessories of her own… but these golden candles just stuck with me. How cute are they? A little bit of golden bling for the modern girls guest room!
Wheew! If you made it all the way to the bottom you are my new favorite person! That was a long post! I love making these mood boards… but they are time consuming 😉 .
So what do y’all think? Anybody else want a mood board? I’m having so much fun putting them together… I’d love to do one for you! Leave a comment or shoot me an email and I’d love to put one together for you!
Linking up with: I Heart Naptime!
Get Your FREE Wedding Binder
Trying to plan your perfect wedding?
Here's 42 FREE printables to help you get organized!