An old high school friend recently posted on her blog that she was working on a mood board for a re-design of her bedroom. Her exact words were:
“I’m redoing my bedroom… I want something more grown-up and elegant. I have my bedding chosen out and I am set on gold accents but I need to add some color. I’m thinking navy and possibly some pops of fuchsia? Any thoughts?”
Well, of course I have some thoughts! Lots of thoughts! You know me… always ready with an opinion on matters of design! The mood board below is her original design board. She has a dark brown leather headboard, lots of gold sparklies (with just a touch of personality, who doesn’t love that gold pineapple lamp?) and texture. Of course I’m a flokati girl myself so I love that fluffy white pillow and the neutral bedding is amazing. I’m smitten with that tan cheetah print!
I know Karlie loves anything designer (see the Prada reference?) is a girly girl at heart and wants just a touch of the french script. I tried to incorporate all of those aspects when designing her board!
Completely decadent, lots of texture, with just a bit of whimsey. I don’t know about Karlie but I love it! I kept everything from her original inspiration board (the headboard, the linens, the gold mirror, the flokati pillow, the pineapple lamp and the Prada print) and went from there.
I layered in texture with the gold and blush pillows on the bed and kept things simple with a warm flokati rug underfoot. Who wouldn’t want to step out of bed to that lush feeling under their toes? The Ikea price tag doesn’t hurt either… to buy a real flokati rug is big bucks! I added a fun navy and cream accent wall behind the bed. With a great glossy paint that accent wall will add major drama with little drama to the bank account.
My favorite piece might be the dresser… I’ve seen several french provincial dressers over the years and they all look exactly the same. The lines are perfect for a girly glam bedroom though so with a little paint this beauty will fit right in! Plus look at all that storage! Gold tipped feet add a touch of glam while the blush color is so sweet. Since it is extra long you could easily set up all of those vanity accessories that are so necessary to getting ready.
A french script arm chair adds a little spot to curl up and read. While the blush pouf is a nice place to kick up your heels after a long day. I added several designer prints to the Prada piece Karlie already had picked out. They would make an adorable little grouping over the dresser. Plus you could easily add to the grouping with framed magazine covers of vogue magazine or similar prints!
1. Gold Glitter Pillow: You may want to resist curling up with this baby… those sequins are sure to sting! But the glitter factor can’t be ignored, this pillow adds a bit of rock and roll with just a touch of glam. This pillow cover is only $20… and since it’s a cover it’s easy to change out when the mood strikes!
2. Flokati Pillow: This pillow is a great sense of warmth and snuggles. Yes snuggles is an adjective… get over it. Since it’s only $16 you may want to get over it twice and snag two.
3. Blush Ruffle Pillow: This pillow has so much texture and the blush color is perfect for the palette. Plus it’s sold at Pier 1 so it’s fairly inexpensive!
4. Je t’aime Pillow: I love this pillow cover. Ironic? Definitely not! It ties in the french script without being too matchy matchy. The goal is to coordinate not copy and paste! At $24.95 this pillow cover is a great addition to a glam girls bedroom.
5. Prada Sign: This sign was part of Karlie’s original inspiration board… but it can be found all over the internet! You could easily grab a digital download or spend a bit more to grab a large print.
6. Navy Blue Throw: This throw might be a bit pricey at $69 but really any navy blue throw will do! Something warm and knitted to cuddle up in on those cold winter nights.
8. Spade Art Print: This spade art print references Kate Spade a fabulous New York designer. This particular piece is a digital download… the colors of each piece can be chosen and then printed right at home for only $5! Who doesn’t love that? Try blush and gold or blush and navy for a color coordinating print! If you love the digital download route just keep browsing ETSY, what about this gorgeous black and gold version of “She leaves a little Sparkle wherever she goes”?
9. Flokati Rug: This beauty is actually the Rens sheepskin in white from IKEA. That’s right the sweedish superstore is busting out the goodness… for only $29.99. The dimensions are roughly 5×8 and if that’s not a bargain I don’t know what is! I may have to buy one of these bad boys for myself. Anyone up for a shopping run?
10. Blush Pouf: This little blush pouf is absolutely adorable. I love the pouf craze that is happening right now. They’re just so versatile! This blush beauty is pricey at $205 but a 15% discount brings the total down a smidge and really isn’t it worth it for something so cute?
11. French Script Armchair: I picked the armchair from the inspiration board for it’s elegant lines. The arms lend a bit of substance and stability while the french script works with Karlie’s french script fabric swatch. Unfortunately when I tried to find a link to purchase the chair above I came up short. The image I used was from a Joss and Main sale… which is over. The good news was I found a similar chair on sale for $258 from $450… and the new chair has tufted buttons. Who doesn’t love a good tufted button?
12. DIY Drum Shade Lighting: A fun pendent light with a gold glitter interior would be amazing. Light would dance every time you flipped the switch! Plus it’s DIY from an a white drum shade which means easy on the budget!
13. Curtains: These curtains are by Allen + Roth (Oberlin Geometric Navy Back Tab) and they’re fabulous. The print adds a bit of geometry to the room while still keeping things light and fresh. Keeping the navy to a minimum they still pull the color from the accent wall further into the room. Love it!
Who knows if this little room will ever come to be… either way I’m completely smitten!